Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Week Five: McLuhan

TV: Still Cold?

Throughout the reading, I was quite perplexed by McLuhan's assertion that TV is a cold medium. Admittedly, I have no experience with TV as a medium circa 1964, but I just can't imagine anyone would view it as a cold medium today.

Right off the bat, McLuhan says that film is a hot medium and television cold. He then defines hot and cold, noting the difference to be one of suspending a sense in "high definition" and the level to which they allow participation. Ignoring the obvious joke that modern TV is broadcast in nothing but "high definition," I see no difference between film and television by either standard of his definition.

"Hot media," he writes on page 23, "do not leave so much to be filled in by the audience." Okay, I can follow that. A photograph shows an image in totality: hot. A telephone provides only auditory transmission, often imperfect, while requiring the listener to put a face to a voice: cold. Alright, I'm still with it.

Film merges photography and sound, operating on the persistence of memory at 24 frames per second while simultaneously engrossing the viewer's eardrum: totally hot. Yet TV, functionally the same as film: cold? Lost me.

Going more in-depth into television on pg. 309, McLuhan writes, "TV is a medium which rejects the sharp personality and favors the presentation of processes rather than of products." This is certainly untrue of modern television. We've arrived at a singular term for hosts of talk shows and news programs: Personalities. TV has become hyper-focused on personality, as it's what non-fiction shows live and die by. Steven Colbert, Jon Stewart, Bill O'Reilly, Rachel Maddow, etc etc. all thrive in ratings because of personality. Little care is given to the content of the program, and the focus is entirely on the personality of the host.

And then comes an interesting thought, after a discussion on the differences between film and TV images on pg. 313, McLuhan comes to the conclusion that TV could be improved to match film on a visual perception level, but that it would then no longer be TV but something new entirely.

Perhaps this is where I disagree with McLuhan, as modern film and TV barely resemble film and TV of the 60s. 35mm prints are still quite common, but digital film is on the rise. Digital film, in presentation, is identical to high-definition TV (and interestingly enough, progressive-scan HD operates in a very similar whole-image based technology to 35mm film). As consumer televisions grow in size and home sound systems become more robust, the difference between film and television is closing quite rapidly.

Should McLuhan have written on the state of media today, I don't doubt his opinion on the temperature of film and television would be different. But would film still be hot, and TV cold? Maybe I don't have the best grasp on his terms, but I seem to think he would regard both, especially when considering digital film, as cold. Even working within his terms, I can't see either as anything but unquestionably hot.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment on my blog! Your distinction between television and film really helped me. I guess I think of both as pictures on a screen. But, I didn't take into account the fact that a film was presented by a projector while television was transmitted by some process that goes way, way, way over my head.

    Thank you for putting providing some context for television and movies during the time that this was written. The more I think about these topics, the more I become confused. I guess the world is just a lot more complex now than it was when McLuhan was writing.

    Sarah Hagan

    ReplyDelete